What is it?
There's lots of nice WebCam software out there. Many offerings did almost
what I needed and were just about usable but had funny quirks, didn't like
all my cameras, were not totally free or just didn't feel right. Whatever.
I eventually decided that the only way to get what I wanted was to write
the dern thing myself, and Puffin Cam is the result. It's pretty simple.
It does what I want in the way I like. If it suits you and you find it
useful, that's cool. If it doesn't, never mind. If you think
there's some enhancement could be made, or you find a bug, please do
let me know
It's a webcam - what can I say? Here's a quick rundown:
- DirectShow WDM and VfW grabber support
- Access to camera controls (brightness/contrast etc)
- Choice of image sizes
- JPEG creation with definable quality
- Captioning with optional date and quick entry.
- Graphical logo overlay (GIF/PNG/JPEG/BMP)
- FTP upload, including use of tempfile and 'site' command
- Recent activity log
- Most recent image and live view side-by-side
- Definable grab/upload period with countdown and Pause feature
- Iconise to System tray, grab from tray, tray icon grab notification
- Almost zero CPU usage while minimized pending grab.
- Cute puffin icon
- Simple auto-brightness image enhancement (for basic cameras)
- Save as local file (or to fileserver) as well as FTP upload
- Workaround buggy webcam drivers w.r.t. hidden grabbing
- Image archive
The latest version, 0.2.4, is here
Previous version, 0.2.3, is here.
(windows) - (top) - email@example.com